Less than 365 days ago I started my journey to wanting to improve my overall health. Ask yourself what is it you wish you could be or do and than look to see what is stopping you? Whatever it is that is stopping you are minor speed bumps to your path of success. If I can do it...anyone can!
I could recall when in the exercise classes; everyone was doing push-ups, pull ups and burpees. I dreaded at the thought of how I would look because I lacked the strength to do so.
I could recall when in the exercise classes; everyone was doing push-ups, pull ups and burpees. I dreaded at the thought of how I would look because I lacked the strength to do so.
If you are not familiar with what a burpee is a full body exercise movement performed in 4 steps that basically work your entire body from a squat, jump down to a push up and back up. With anything you are new to or haven’t done in a while it can be intimidating to get into without realizing your shortcomings.
However, just as with learning or experiencing anything new most of us are timid, shy, scared, excited, intimated – probably a combination of all of the above. I definitely felt all of those, but my desire to put my health first and my feelings second helped me persevere. Knowing that everyone had a starting point and if I continued that I would also be there one day is what allowed for me to push forward. I was on a mission to not only prove everyone who doubted me but to also prove myself wrong. I would shy away from things or find an excuse to not do it and I no longer wanted to be that person. I wanted to be the strong, sexy woman I have dreamt I was & could be.
However, just as with learning or experiencing anything new most of us are timid, shy, scared, excited, intimated – probably a combination of all of the above. I definitely felt all of those, but my desire to put my health first and my feelings second helped me persevere. Knowing that everyone had a starting point and if I continued that I would also be there one day is what allowed for me to push forward. I was on a mission to not only prove everyone who doubted me but to also prove myself wrong. I would shy away from things or find an excuse to not do it and I no longer wanted to be that person. I wanted to be the strong, sexy woman I have dreamt I was & could be.
I started out by doing a modified burpee (one leg back at a time), push ups from my knees as well as pull ups with the TRX ropes. All are great workouts and what essentially got me to where I am at now. The very thought of having to do a burpee made me cringe!! I always told myself there is no way I could ever do push ups off my knees or even dream of attempting to pull myself up! Now I truly enjoy doing burpees, I only do push ups off my knees and opt for a challenge (putting my hands closer, twisting my hands in). I am using the bar now for pull ups and using a resistance band but as I continue to pull myself up I will eventually do this without the band...this is something I have been looking forward to.
By setting up these mini goals it's allowed me to work through and see that my strength was improving. I was becoming stronger as well as in the mean time losing weight, gaining energy and feeling great. It seemed as though everything was falling into place and continues to do so. I am starting this blog with my sister, Yalda, because we want to empower other women to also feel strong and sexy while reaching their fitness goals at the same time!
-Lisa

Love your story. Please share your 2015 goals with us.
ReplyDelete